Are you busy or productive?

institute of iron
Administrator
David Allen

It seems as though everyone in America these days is just so busy. Always running from one place to another, constantly attached to some electronic device, at the beck and call of work, family, and friends. If little Johnny needs something, they jump right on it. If work sends them an email they answer it immediately. If their friends want to meet for drinks, they’re totally there. I’ve found myself in this same situation as well. So recently, I have decided to stop being busy and to start being productive.
What’s the difference? Being busy is just running around in circles. Being productive is moving forward in a straight line. Being busy is letting other people and things determine where you go and what you do. Being productive is deciding where you want to go and finding the people and things that fall in line with that goal.
We all have the same 24 hours a day, 168 hours a week. The saying “I don’t have time for that” is a lie. “I don’t find that to be a priority worth the investment of my time” is a more accurate statement. How well do you invest your time? What is your return on that investment? I see a lot of busy people going nowhere. They’re stuck in the same job they don’t like, getting fat, getting unhealthy, getting stressed. They keep doing the same things and expecting different results. They’re crazy.
The beauty of this life is you get to choose what you want to do and how you want to do it, most people are just too scared to accept it. Maybe it’s just easier to follow the crowd. Personally, I hate the crowd. Average just seems so incredibly boring, especially when you realize that it’s all a simple matter of choice. Someone told me the other day that we’re all just wired differently and I couldn’t agree more. But if you don’t like being busy and you’d like to make a change, rewire yourself and start getting productive.
"Building Better Athletes"